Eyeliner is one of my personal favourite make up items. It can create a dramatic look in seconds without much time or effort.
BEFORE YOU APPLY EYELINER
If you are a beginner at makeup, the many different types of eyeliners out there may overwhelm you. Depending on the look you want to achieve, different eyeliners will give you different results.
The type of eyeliner you use is purely a personal preference. Each has its pros and cons. Here is what you need to know before heading out to the shops.
1. Liquid eyeliner: This gives you the most dramatic result and is my personal favourite. This will give you a very defined and precise line. Look for liquid eyeliner with a thin and fine point or felt-tip. You will need a very steady hand and lots of patience. It will take time to master. If you make a mistake, remove it with a cotton swab (rather than your fingers). If you find the eyeliner to be stubborn and not coming off, dab the swab in makeup remover and try again. Try Lancome Artliner.
2. Gel eyeliner: This will also give you a dramatic look like the liquid eyeliner. It is great for people with oily eyelids or for use in humid weather because this eyeliner will really last! My main issue with this form of eyeliner is that you have to wash the brush applicator every time after use to prevent the gel hardening on the brush hairs. When you’re in a hurry, this isn’t ideal! Try MAC Fluidline.
3. Pencil eyeliner: This is the most commonly used eyeliner. It will give you a very wearable everyday look. It is easy to apply and control. Keep in mind if you want crisp lines; make sure you sharpen the pencil well! The downside of the pencil eyeliner is that they tend to smear and smudge easily. I would suggest applying eye primer all over the eyelids first. The eye primer will help your eyeliner to last longer and prevent it from smudging. Try Urban Decay 24/7 Gilde-On Eye Pencil and NARS Larger than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner.
4. Powder eyeliner: Using eyeshadow as eyeliner is the fastest and easiest way to line your lashes. You will need a stiff angled brush for application. Be sure to tap off any excess power before applying to your lashes. This will minimize the need to clean up grains of eyeshadow on your cheeks after. Powder eyeliner will give you the softest look compared to the other types of eyeliners. It is great for a subtle daytime look. I strongly recommend you not to use this on your waterline. It will not stay and it will irritate your eyes. Try MAC Eyeshadow Pro Palette.
HOW TO APPLY EYELINER
1. Start from the middle of your eyes. Begin by drawing a short dash along your lash line and extending this slightly past the outer corner of your eyes.
2. Draw the outline of you wing. Think about it if you are sketching the outline of a tick.
3. Go back to the center of your eye and paint short strokes until you reach your tear ducts.
4. To finish the look, fill in the outline you have drawn. Be sure to let the liner dry before fully opening your eyes to prevent the ink from transferring onto the crease of your eyelids.
TIPS AND TRICKS
1. Apply eyeliner as close to your lash line as possible. Make sure you fill in any gaps between every lash. It will add more depths and make your lashes appear thicker.
2. To begin with, keep your line as thin as possible. Build up the thickness progressively. It is much easier to add liner than remove what is already there.
3. If the outer corners of your eyes droop, draw your line with a slight upturn. This will create a more youthful look.
4. Eyeliner doesn’t have to be black or brown. Go for purple, blue or even pink! One eyeliner trick I love is to pair my eyeshadow with my coloured eyeliner and coloured mascara to make my eyes pop!